We love to make a big pot of G-R-I-T-S for family gatherings and holidays.
Even if you think you don’t like grits, you might just love this J. Outlaw South Carolina southern grits recipe!
Outlaw Family Grits Recipe
We love to make a big pot of G-R-I-T-S for family gatherings and holidays. Even if you think you don’t like grits, you might just love our J. Outlaw South Carolina southern grits recipe!
- Large pot with lid. Can also be cooked in a crock pot.
- 1 Large green bell pepper Chopped
- 1 Large red bell pepper Chopped
- 1 Large yellow onion Chopped
- 1 lb. Kielbasa sausage Cooked and sliced thin
- 1 cup Bacon Bits
- 24 oz Old-fashioned grits Not instant
- 1 cup Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup Heavy cream
- Salt & Pepper
- Crushed red pepper
- Tabasco or other hot sauce
- Chop the vegetables and slice the sausage. Cook the sausage and drain on a paper towel.
- Prepare the grits according to package directions, adding one extra cup of water so the grits are not too thick.
- Once the grits are cooked, transfer to a large crock pot. Add the peppers, onions, sausage, bacon bits, cheese, and cream. Add a little more or less according to your own taste. Stir. Season with salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, and as much (or as little) hot sauce as you like.
- Reduce heat to low, and allow grits to simmer for the duration of the party. Serve with butter and additional hot sauce.